Friday, January 16, 2009

Dong Khanh Restaurant: Round 2


This is my favorite lunch buddy and her bowl of chao long (Cantonese pork innards congee) at Dong Khanh Restaurant. The Cantonese version is more viscous and bland compared to its Vietnamese counterpart, which is more like a savory rice soup.


And the best part about eating congee when it's cold out are the gio chao quay (Vietnamese) or yau ja gwai (Cantonese)--Chinese fried bread sticks. Dong Khanh's sticks are always mouth-searing hot, adequately crispy on the outside and super soft on the inside.


And here is the glorious Dong Khanh bun thit nuong cha gio (rice vermicelli with spring roll & grilled pork)--my favorite Vietnamese restaurant dish. I was skeptical when I first saw it because it did not have the traditional thinly-sliced pork, but instead was served with a sliced pork chop. Tradition aside, the pork was cooked to perfection--well-marinated and tender.

7 comments:

q-pig said...

how I wish I lived within walking distance of a Vietnamese restaurant.

natis said...

You're just against anything that's not Vietnamese. ;p

Cantonese version rocks!

emily said...

Hate you...

dapan said...

i heart yau ja gwai, prefect for congee! ^^

linh said...

my parents have been taking me to dong khanh since i can eat. i absolutely love it (and your blog). thanks!

Jenny T. said...

Have you been back since they renovated and it is now called "New Dong Khanh"? It would be interesting to have a pre/post comparison.

Indonesia Eats said...

Yesterday, I had the vegetarian version of the rice vermicelli with spring roll. Instead of grill pork, it was added by eggplant and tofu.