Saturday, August 2, 2008

Garlic Love: Roasted Garlic Hummus

If you are a regular reader of my blog, then you probably already know that I absolutely LOVE garlic. So, to celebrate my romance with this glorious herb, I decided to make roasted garlic hummus today. The sweet and buttery taste of roasted garlic turns ordinary hummus into a luxurious spread that goes well with toasted flatbread or a hot, crispy baguette.

Roasting garlic is super simple. Remove the outer skins and lop off the tops. Sprinkle with a bit of cracked black pepper, sea salt, evoo and your favorite dried herb. Enclose garlic with foil paper and toss into a preheated oven at 350F for 30 minutes.

Remove heads from oven and allow to cool. The roasted cloves will easily fall out with a simple tug of each individual clove's skin.

Roasted garlic alone can be made into a delicious spread, but I thought adding it to hummus would encourage me to eat more chickpeas.

Roasted Garlic Hummus
(Yields 4-6 Appetizer Portions)

  • 1 can (15 oz) chickpea, rinsed & drained
  • 3 heads garlic, roasted & peeled
  • 1 tbsp plain yogurt, or to taste
  • 1 tbsp tahini, or to taste
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, or to taste
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Sea salt to taste
  • Cayenne powder to taste
  • Pinch of cumin
  • More EVOO, smoked paprika & chopped parsley to garnish

I still operate in a very old-fashioned kitchen, so the chickpea and garlic were pounded in a mortar and then mixed with the rest of the ingredients. You can certainly blitz everything in a food processor if short on time. Garnish with lots of EVOO, paprika and fresh parsley.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect summer food! Enjoy while sitting in the sun with a glass of chilled cava. Beautiful.

Jenny T. said...

An old roommate of mine had a fancy ceramic garlic roaster, but it's good to know that old fashioned foil will do just fine. Looks so tasty!

Tia said...

zen chef - I prefer a glass of sangria! ;)

jenny - Fancy ceramic garlic roaster = clutter! I do wish I have a food processor, though, when I'm chopping shallot/onion and my tears are flooding the cutting board. :'(

Kajal@aapplemint said...

i'm a sucker for roasted garlic too ... but never made hommus with it. I'm surly going to try this out.

Tia said...

Kate - I don't think I'll ever make hummus w/o roasted garlic again! :d

Anonymous said...

Damn. That looks MIGHTY tasty.

Anonymous said...

Ti ơi!! I just made the hummus :) it tasted great (a little sour - I put too much lemon) Daddy said -- "do qua!!!" and mommy said "bay dac" followed by a long lecture of doing nonsense stuff! Thanks for the recipe!!!