- 2 lbs pork ribs, cut 1-inch thick crosswise by butcher
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- Vietnamese fish sauce to taste
- Cooking oil
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 stalks scallion, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tsp sesame seed oil
- 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
Marinate ribs with shallot, ginger, garlic, pepper, salt and fish sauce in the fridge overnight.
Place a heavy skillet over high heat with a generous drizzle of oil and granulated sugar. When the granules of sugar have dissolved and turned golden, toss in the ribs. Occasionally stir ribs until they've evenly caramelized and then add a splash of rice wine, sesame oil and scallion. Toss well and simmer until ribs have absorbed most of the liquid. Adjust seasoning and garnish with rings of scallion. Serve with hot jasmine rice.