Sunday, September 30, 2007

Seared Scallop Curry

I was browsing YouTube yesterday for a video that demonstrates how to make gyozas. I am a total Food Network junkie and have been lured by the cooking videos on YouTube recently after a friend sent me a link on bun rieu, a Vietnamese noodle soup. So I found a gyoza-making clip by yongfook which led me to Open Source Food. This site appealed to my tummy as well as my aesthetics, and I was instantly inspired. So, I decided to add my first post with last night's dinner of seared scallop curry.

I’m Vietnamese so I guess this dish is a Vietnamization of all the Indian and Thai curry dishes I’ve ever had. The ingredients are approximations as I seldom cook with absolute measures but instead rely on my tongue.

Seared Scallop Curry
(Yields 2 Entrée Portions)

  • 1 lb sea scallops
  • fine sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper to taste
  • 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 Chinese eggplant, diced
  • 3 shallots, finely chopped
  • 2 bird’s eye chili peppers, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp fresh/frozen lemongrass, minced
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
  • 2 stalks spring onion, thinly sliced (reserve a bit for garnish)
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tbsp curry powder
  • 1 cup unsweetened Thai coconut milk
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tbsp Vietnamese fish sauce
  • 1/3 cup white wine

Rinse and pat scallops dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat olive oil in deep, heavy skillet over high heat. Fry scallops until golden and just cooked through. Transfer to platter.

Put skillet back on burner and add shallots and eggplant. Sauté until slightly golden and then add chili, lemongrass, ginger, spring onion, garlic, bay leaf and curry powder to same skillet. Mix the ingredients until they are evenly coated with oil. Whisk together the coconut milk and water and pour into skillet. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer until slightly thickened. Add white wine and fish sauce and simmer to desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return scallops to skillet 3 minutes before serving. Garnish with sliced spring onion.

I served this dish with steamed white rice and flash-fried snow peas. It was delicious with a cold wheat beer. :)

0 comments: