Thursday, March 20, 2008

Zaru Soba

I made zaru soba at home for the first time last month and liked it so much that I bought a big package of it today for those nights that I'm too lazy to cook anything fussy. I grilled some prawns to go with this dish last time, so I thought I'd grill enoki mushrooms tonight since I'm trying to eat more healthfully. I also added some shredded shiso leaves to make it a bit more interesting. This is the easiest and fastest meal ever!

Soba noodles made from wheat and buckwheat flower. Unlike my favorite rice noodles, these noodles are actually good for you! They taste so much better than the other whole wheat pasta, too. :)

Shiso leaves that I picked up from the Korean grocer. We're grilling this weekend, so I bought a pack to go with the Korean bbq meats.

Zaru Soba
(Yields 2 Entree Portions)

  • 2 to 3 bundles soba noodles
  • 1 bunch enoki mushrooms
  • 1 small European cucumber, cut into matchsticks
  • 2 shiso leaves, shredded
  • 1 sheet toasted nori, cut into thin strips
  • 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds

Dipping Sauce:

  • 1 cup bottled tsuyu sauce
  • 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
  • 2 scallions, sliced thinly
  • 1 tsp wasabi
  • Few drops sesame oil

Boil noodles to desired texture (6-8 minutes). Drain and rinse really well with cold water. Spread out in colander to finish draining or place noodles on a bamboo sieve. Cover and chill until ready to serve.

Put all ingredients into a bowl to make dipping sauce.

Cut the root block off the enoki mushrooms and discard. Wash quickly and blot with paper towel. I like to toss it with just a tiny bit of olive oil, salt and pepper before throwing it on the grill for a quick sizzle.

To serve, you can place condiments on separate little plates for people to choose however much of what they want, or you can plate everything and serve with a bowl of dipping sauce on the side. I also like to place a dallop of wasabi on the plate for those who want the extra kick.

5 comments:

Long said...

Hey there. You blog? Aren't you that girl from the MTV show "shot at love?"

Tia said...

Aren't you Long Duk Dong? What's happenin' hot stuff?

Long said...

I am indeed. Not much, but I don't care to carry on personal conversation through your blog which just makes me hungry.

Please contact me through the proper channels.

love ya,
LDD

BTW, you should have picked that italian guy. Now he has his own show!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful blog and photography you have here. I especially love the delicate photo of the kinh gioi leaves. Just beautiful!

Tia said...

Thanks, White/Rice! I just took a glance at your cooking blog and will definitely take more time to explore the rest of it soon. :)