Friday, March 14, 2008

Mediterranean Dips

I'm generally not a big fan of legumes, but the virtues of the chickpea cannot be ignored. Since my plan to stick with the exercise program has failed miserably, I thought I'd compensate by eating more healthfully.

Hummus is so simple and delicious. I had my first taste of hummus at a Greek restaurant where they just set a wood mortar and pestle with some chickpea, garlic, salt and olive oil on your table for you to crush and spread over your bread. The version I made last night was a combination of the hummus I've had at various Mediterranean restaurants in South Florida.

Hummus
(Yields 4 Appetizer Portions)

  • 1 can chickpea, rinsed & drained
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
  • ½ tsp sea salt
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • few mint leaves
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • ¼ cup tahini
  • ½ cup plain yogurt
  • extra virgin olive oil, pul biber, sumac and chopped parsley to garnish

Throw garlic and sea salt into a mortar or bowl and pound to a pulp. Add dry ingredients and a handful of chickpeas and continue to pound. Finish pounding the chickpeas to the desired texture and then mix with wet ingredients. Adjust seasoning and plate. Garnish with fine olive oil, pul biber, sumac and parsley. Serve with hot pita bread.

Eggplant, although not as virtuous as the chickpea, is my favorite ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine. I thought I'd make it a dips night since I was in a pounding mood. My baba ghanoush has similar ingredients to the hummus.

Baba Ghanoush
(Yields 4 Appetizer Portions)

  • 1 eggplant, roasted & peeled
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • ¼ cup tahini
  • extra virgin olive oil, pul biber, sumac, dried mint, chopped parsley to garnish

Preheat the oven broiler to 450F and place eggplant as close to the burner as possible without touching. Remember to put slits into the eggplant so that it does not explode. I usually just stick it in the oven to roast for about 40 minutes or so while I prepare dinner. Rotate the eggplant every 10 minutes for even cooking. It's done when the skins have collapsed and the flesh has softened.

Remove eggplant from oven and set aside to cool. Throw garlic and sea salt into a mortar or bowl and pound to a pulp. Scoop out the silky eggplant flesh and add to the mix, along with paprika and cumin. Mash to desired texture and then mix in the lemon juice, tahini and olive oil. Adjust seasoning and plate. Garnish with fine olive oil, pul biber, sumac, dried mint and parsley. Serve with hot pita bread.

The type of olive oil makes such a big difference in the taste of salads and dips. I love to use TARIS extra virgin olive oil from the Aegean region that can be ordered from Taris Zeytin. Along with olives and olive oil, they also have gourmet vinegar and personal care products. Their Aivaly with Olive Leaves and Eskisi Gibi Lavender bar soaps are absolutely wonderful!

Toasted pita bread completes a meal of herb meatballs, salad and pasta. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you add yogurt to the baba ghanoush? And how long did you roast your eggplant for? I'm going to try to make it sometime next weekend--first time. The end dish presentation looks really good and delicious. Thanks! wayne

Tia said...

Hi, Wayne! :)

No, I make my baba ghanoush w/o yogurt. Just added roasting instructions for the eggplant. Let me know how it turns out!

Cheers!