Sunday, May 4, 2008

Chicken with Lemongrass & Chili (Ga Xao Xa Ot)

Ga Xao Xa Ot is probably one of the most common dishes eaten in a Vietnamese home. It is a quick and easy way to prepare chicken without sacrificing taste. One of my favorites! :)

Chicken with Lemongrass & Chili
(Yields 2 Entree Portions)

  • 1 lb boneless & skinless thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 2 tbsp Vietnamese fish sauce
  • 1 tsp ground turmeric
  • 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, finely chopped
  • 2 big cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 bird’s eye chili peppers, minced
  • 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, minced
  • 2 shallots, thinly sliced
  • Additional sea salt to taste
  • 2 to 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 2 stalks scallion, sliced (green for garnish)
  • Coriander leaves to garnish

Marinate chicken with all ingredients except the oil, scallion, coriander and sugar. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. I like to marinate this overnight.

Place a non-stick skillet over high heat and add a generous amount of oil to fully coat the bottom. When oil is really hot, sprinkle sugar into the oil and swirl skillet around to make sure all the sugar dissolve. When you no longer see the individual granules of sugar, throw chicken in and make sure each piece is touching the skillet. Leave it alone for a little bit to allow chicken to caramelize and then toss quickly to allow the other side to cook. At this point, you can make some room in the skillet for the scallion to fry. When all the pieces of chicken have caramelized to a beautiful golden brown, transfer to a plate and garnish with the fried scallion. Sprinkle rings of scallion on top and place a generous amount of fresh coriander leaves around the chicken. Serve with plain jasmine rice.

8 comments:

q-pig said...

will you come cook for me? I wish I could just grab this dish of chicken out of my laptop screen and eat it. i've been eating frozen dinners, pb&j, and instant noodles for the last several weeks. i'm just too pooped from studying to muster any extra energy to cook real food. plus, my fridge is bare except for a jar of strawberry jelly. and bread.

Tia said...

You can hire me as your personal cook when you become a hotshot lawyer! ;) Good luck with finals/papers. <3

senc said...

This is a great comfort food, and it tastes so delicious that it is hard to stop eating. Trust me, I know :)

Tia said...

Thanks, Senc...but you have the same problem with Taco Bell, too! :P

emily said...

Mmmm....the meat looks so succulent and tender -- makes me SO hungry!!! Hate you!

bettie_be said...

I just tried this receipe today and it was amazing. I didnt have the turmic on hand, i thought i did but i didnt, and it still was amazing. I'm looking forward to trying your other recipes

LadyeWitch said...

I usually go the Que Viet Village House III in Brooklyn Center, MN to have this dish, so now I am going to try my hand at it.. looks so good and we love Vietnamese food! Thank you Tis Nguyen!

Drone 17994635A said...

Thanks for this! I used your recipe to make a chili sauce that I then marinated the chicken in overnight before cooking the following day. Very impressed :)

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s144/sh/5c1d213e-0db2-41a3-9f05-7e07aa5fe24e/19553b12093f113eaf0b47cba28cc183

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s144/sh/b071d901-328f-4a97-9a56-b545b28d5850/b2213230cff53f3a47ea6beeecc1bf65