Wednesday, July 2, 2008

My Sister's Garden: Dragon Fruit (Hylocereus undatus)

My parents planted several dragon fruit cactus vines around my sister’s house, but unlike the other stuff they’ve planted, these have not been very fruitful. These plants have very ornate flowers that bloom only at night, and usually last just one night when pollination is necessary to set fruit. I think we’ve reaped only a few dragon fruits over the past three years.

This morning, I got up unusually early (way before sunrise) and decided to enjoy a relaxing morning outside while I drink my Vietnamese iced coffee. To my utter surprise and amazement, I found a most glorious blossom from the scrawny cactus that my parents have tied to a tree in the front yard. The sun was just peeking over the horizon at the time, so I decided to wait for a little more sunlight before running inside for my camera. When it was finally bright enough, the blossom had already closed up a bit but still breathtaking. It was a beautiful way to start off the day, and I looked forward to the blooming of the second bud.

So, at around 11 o’clock tonight, I was doing my usual round of news reading before heading to bed when my dad told me to get the camera. The second bud has bloomed, and I nearly forgot!

This is the second bud in full bloom, and it has the loveliest scent! I hope some bees will swing by tonight for a nightcap. :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

gorgeous flowers and i love Dragon Fruits a lot... my fav is the red ones.

In deserts such cacti are polinated by migration bats. Not sure in Asia though... but judging by the fragrance it produced, there bound to be bats or bees around. I really hope you wil more fruits as well and share some recipes utilise the fruit besides eating them raw.

pixen